How to Spot Unhappy Employees
According to FM World magazine, mental health issues accounted for 15.8 million lost days last year (11.5%). Mental ill health affects 1 in 4 people in the UK, with common conditions including anxiety, depression, stress and eating disorders.
There are a number of signs that point to mental ill health at work. When monitoring an employee, make sure to look out for the following traits:
- A dip in their usual level of performance, e.g. increased errors, missing deadlines and forgetfulness
- A formerly punctual employee becoming regularly late
- Increased absence due to illness
- Taking on excessive amounts of work and leaving the office late
- Being fixated with fair treatment and often using grievance procedures
It is also important to look for any emotional or physical changes in your staff that may suggest mental health issues. Emotional changes may be irritability, tearfulness or lack of confidence. Physical changes may be extreme weight loss/gain, or a lack of care over appearance.